Monday 21 April 2014

Looking up in suburbia

Easter didn't quite go to plan. Saturday I pushed. As a result, Easter Sunday was spent trying to differentiate between passing out and sleeping. I slept though most of our family phone call to our eldest who was having his first Easter away from home. I was at least there on the couch slurring some words in the general direction of the phone. And today I woke up with tired on top of my tired. And my stomach in rebellion. Oh and did I mention a bladder that has shrunk to the size of an M&M? Drink. Pee. Drink. Pee. Drink.... Dysautonomia, the gift that keeps on giving.

The weather has been grey and my mood matched. But today there was sun. So I dragged my protesting body outside to take in it's warmth and cleanse my spirit.

The garden has always been my bliss. But since the move that has taken a dive. The move from temperate rainforest to sterile suburbia has been a hard change to wrap my head around.

This was my world before our move.


Now it is this.


And serenity is hard to find.

But today I was determined to find a small piece of bliss.



I decided to look up....


....and found my back neighbour's flowering gums.


 And blue sky.


And the gums reached out. Filled with squawking honey-eaters and bright red blooms.


 I put up my red umbrella. And laid out my blankets and pillows.


And I watched the clouds.


I had company in the sun.


And snuggles when it became too warm.


There were Great Dane footrests when my head started to spin.


And company whilst I searched for new books to read.


Now as the sun goes down I am just as exhausted, but happy. Sometimes you are stuck in soulless suburbia and sometimes....
....it is where you set your gaze that matters. 

Michelle

Don't forget to head on over here and donate to Dysautonomia Research here in Australia, at The Baker IDI. Lots of exciting research occurring currently and more projects on the way.
















You could also head on over to the Australia Writers' Centre and vote for the blog in the Best Australia Blogs Competition.




 

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful as always Michelle :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever feel like a walking magic trick? In goes the water & Out goes the water? Like immediately, same as the guy on stage with the wooden dummy? Cuz yeah those are most of my days too.

    Sunday was spent in bed here as well. I did the holiday thing Saturday so the children could play with family & Easter was spent in bed. Thanking God for Movie Marathons! Yep I hear you!

    Sometimes it IS about where we choose to look. I choose to see my happy, healthy, playful understanding children instead of my limitations that taught them compassion at a young age. (raises glass of water, avoids dropping it on keyboard) Here's to finding that place soon, so you can find more beautiful things to look at. Although those flowers were pretty nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your lovely post Michelle. I also want to thank you for your kind words and support over the last week. It means so very much to me. I have voted for you in The peoples choice blog awards. I hope you win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michelle! I'm finally catching up with your blog and looks like there have been lots of changes since I've last read! You remain an inspiration in my life and I am glad you are starting to find serenity in your new surroundings! It looks like a lovely backyard that I'm sure will grow lovelier with time! I moved last year as well and it was quite an adjustment as it can take a long time to get settled but now I'm finally starting to appreciate my new surroundings as well although I do still miss my old place at times. I think that's natural. Wishing you all the best my friend!

    ReplyDelete

All who are lovely enough to comment should be showered with cup cakes, glitter and macarons. I promise to use my spoon bending mind powers to try and get that happening for all who are lovely enough to share their words. Those who go the extra step to share posts should really get a free unicorn. Or at least the gift of finding the shortest and quickest line at the supermarket on a regular basis. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.